As summer is coming to an end, I wanted to share a recipe that is light, easy, and perfect for this lingering hot nights! I can’t believe how hot this summer has been. I’m definitely looking forward to the cooler fall temperatures. I haven’t been baking much at all because it’s simply too hot to turn on the oven!
My mom gets credit for coming up with the idea for this recipe. I’ve shared a recipe for spaghetti squash before (check it out here), but this is a bit different! We also discovered a way to make the prep way faster, which is ideal 🙂
The following recipe is for Ricotta Spaghetti Squash. It’s great on it’s own as a side dish, or you could beef it up (literally) by adding some veggies and ground beef or chicken!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Choice of spices (I used black pepper and oregano)
- Veggies and protein to your liking
- Prep the spaghetti squash by piercing it several times with a fork. Microwave the squash in 5 minute intervals until the outside is soft. The timing will depend on the size of the squash and the individual microwave, but 10 minutes should be sufficient.
- Scoop the insides of the squash into a large mixing bowl; discard the pulpy strands and seeds.
- Season the squash–again, I sprinkled mine with black pepper and oregano.
- Mash the avocado, and then mix in the ricotta cheese.
- Add the avocado-ricotta mixture to the squash and combine.
- Add in any additions that you want, or leave plain to use as a side!
- Top with Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Heat in the oven at 250 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool, and enjoy!
I added some cooked broccoli to ours, but I would definitely try this again with chicken to make a low-carb Italian style dinner!
Peace, love, and back to school (soon!)